Dr Niall Kent
- PhD. Bart’s and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry 2013
- MBChB Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery. Warwick Medical School 2019
Niall is an Honorary Lecturer within the Centre for Nature Inspired Engineering in the Chemical Engineering department. He is also a foundation doctor within the Buckingham Healthcare NHS Trust. He Is currently working With Professor Marc-Olivier Coppens developing novel materials for hard tissue regeneration. His cross-disciplinary work epitomises work in the CNIE as a catalyst for innovation, and has involved novel hierarchically structured, functional materials for applications in healthcare and biomedical engineering, catalysis and membranes
Niall was previously working with Professor Marc-Olivier Coppens, Professor Nigel Titchener-Hooker and Dr Daniel Bracewell developing membranes for water desalination and filtration of various biological entities.
Niall Joined the centre in 2014 after conducting his PhD studies at Bart’s and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, where he developed a novel injectable in-vivo setting bone substitute material using bioactive glass.
- Kent N.W. Hill R.G. Karpukhina N. (2016) A New Way of Forming A Calcium Phosphate Cement Using Bioactive Glasses as a Reactive Precursor. Material Letters; 32-36 (DOI: 10.1016/j.matlet.2015.09.099)
- Kent N.W. Blunn G. Karpukhina N, Davis G., Ferro de Godoy R. Wilson R. Coathup M. Lyris Onwordi L. Quak W.Y. Hill R. (2016) In vitro and in vivo study of commercial calcium phosphate cement HydroSet™. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B. (DOI: 10.1002/jbm.b.33809)
- D’Onofrio A, Kent N.W, Shahdad S. Rawlinson S. Hill R. (2016) Development of Novel Strontium Containing Bioactive Glass based Calcium Phosphate Cement. Journal of Dental Materials. (DOI: 10.1016/j.dental.2016.03.006)
- Meoto S. Kent N.W. Nigra M. Coppens M-O. (2017) Mesostructure and Pore Size Distribution of Mesoporous Silica / Anodic Alumina Hierarchical Membranes Tuned with Ethanol. Langmuir. (DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b00453)
- Meoto S. Kent N.W. Nigra M. Coppens M-O. (2017) Effect of Stirring Rate of the Morphology of FDU-12 Mesoporous Silica. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. (DOI/10.1016/j.micromeso.2017.04.0450
- Mohammed N.R. Kent N.W. Lynch R.J.M. Karpukhina N. Hill R. Anderson P. (2013), Effects of Fluoride on in vitro Enamel Demineralisation Analysed by 19F MAS-NMR. [Link]
- Caries Research;47:421-428 (DOI: 10.1159/000350171), D’Onofrio A, Kent N.W, Shahdad S. Rawlinson S. Liu J. Hill R. Hill, (2014). Development of Novel Strontium Containing Bioglass Cements for Dental Applications. Journal of Dental Research Vol. 93 Special issue B: 202.
- R.G. Hill, N.G. Kent, and N. Karpukhina, "A composition for making a cement or an implant", WO 2013093101 A1, 2012.
- N. Kent and M-O Coppens “Bone Graft System” WO2017013440A1, 2016.
- First prize for oral presentation at Mendeleev 2013 conference, St. Petersburg, (Russia), 2013.
- Bart’s NHS Trust Innovation in healthcare, Innovative Product of the year award 2013. Bart’s NHS Trust, 2013.
- JC Gammon Launchpad Award from the Royal Academy of Engineering. 2014
- UCL Early Career Impact Award 2019. UCL Awards for Innovation and Enterprise
- Warwick Medical School Pridgeon Research Prize. Warwick Medical School, 2019.